Saturday, June 4, 2011

Superfans

One thing you should know about me: I'm a superfan. A superfan is someone who goes beyond just going to athletic events and marginally following their favorite team. Superfans read daily blogs about their teams, watch YouTube highlights of their teams, and constantly talk about their favorite teams. I used to think superfans were super annoying, until I evolved into one. Does being a superfan border on obsessiveness? Yes. However, for me it's all about having fun and participating in a shared experience. I try not to take losing too seriously, and I don't hate fans of other schools.

At Mississippi State, we have something called Maroon Fridays. If you're a Mississippi State fan, then wearing maroon on Fridays is a fun tradition and a way to support your school. Yesterday was Friday, and we were making a brief stop in Pisa to see the Cathedral and the famous leaning tower. I've gotten to know the students on this trip fairly well so far, and I've discovered one superfan even crazier than me when it comes to Mississippi State: Sam Krusee (in the center below). He's the kind of guy who paints his chest for football games. Sam wanted to have a great photo in front of the leaning tower of Pisa for Maroon Friday so badly, that he brought 4 EXTRA MAROON SHIRTS just for some of the other students to wear. For a superfan like me, Sam is just my kind of guy.

After Pisa, we rode a 2 hour train to Genoa, which is where we'll stay for the rest of our trip. We're living in a villa owned by Clemson University. Essentially it's a large house, with many rooms and bathrooms, classroom space, a library, and a garden. It's lovely, and I'll post pictures of it soon. Class starts Tuesday, so for now, I'm just trying to settle into my temporary home. Even though it's really nice, it doesn't beat my real home.


2 comments:

  1. I guess that makes me your superfan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read through your entire blog, Jude. I'm enjoying it! Good luck and safe travels, my friend.

    ReplyDelete